Who We Are & Serve
We are a faith-based, Not-For-Profit organization in Central Florida helping the HOMELESS learn how to live a responsible life by making good choices and to recover from their hurts, habits and hang ups. New Beginnings can provide a home, food, clothing, professional counseling, job opportunities, hope and encouragement.
How We Are Different
An emergency shelter must, by law, take anyone into the facility. They typically provide food, clothing and a bed. The individual is usually in the facility for only a short time. New Beginnings takes in men, women and children in need. They are carefully screened through police and medical records. Relatively healthy adults who have adequate criminal backgrounds are acceptable. Most importantly, they must agree to our admissions policy. It includes: no alcohol or drugs at any time after moving in; and no sexual reading or activity. The house manager at New Beginnings monitors all activities and medicines to insure that all established policies are adhered to.
- Second Harvest Food Bank – Discounted food for the needy.
- Mid-Florida Homeless Coalition – Provide statistics, goals & oversight.
- Access Florida – Providing childcare assistance for families to get back to work.
- Career Source-
- Good Will-
- Tri HR Solutions-
Our Story: A Hand Up, Not a Hand Out
New Beginnings, a 501c3 not for profit, was founded in June 2007 by concerned community leaders who saw far too few services available in Central Florida for those losing their jobs and homes. There were no job training facilities, very few food pantries, no shelters, no recover programs for those who lost their homes and no housing for the homeless. Today, New Beginnings is providing those services, in many Central Florida communities, with over 1000 volunteers to help meet these needs. New Beginnings has 6 transitional houses to serve 30 homeless people including, single men, moms with children, and families who want to recover from their homeless situation. We teach life skills and job training at our training center. 80% of those in the residential program successfully graduate and leave the program with work and housing. We provide initial work training through two companies that we own and manage; 2econd Life Resale and New Beginnings Thrift Store. We serve over 400 people weekly from our food pantries and our Helping Hands Outreach. 93% of all monies received is used for programs.
- Opened a summer program for homeless children where we served 20 kids and had over 6 adult volunteers participating.
- Expanded our food pantry and able to serve over 300 hungry people weekly including distributing food donations from over 10 stores daily.
- Served the most number of moms and men (49) ever with over 80% obtaining jobs.
- Secured funding from Florida Housing Finance Corporation to acquire 10 acres in Clermont to build 100 affordable apartments
- Secured support from Lake County and the State of Florida to acquire a four-plex apartment building to allow our graduates to rent a place of their own.
- Started our Housing Deposit Fund to allow our clients to move out of motels into an apartment
Our Executive Board
These dedicated individuals make up the New Beginnings Board of Directors. They come from many different organizations and fields of work in an effort to help the cause of New Beginnings.
Co-Founder Linda Smith
Dr. Maurice Marholin